Saturday, August 29, 2009

Feast of St. Augustine




The day of the Feast of St. Augustine was yesterday. My community members and I began our day by attending mass/lunch at Merrimack College. I learned truly how small the world is when I was approached by Fr. Jim Wenzel, O.S.A. who had told me the two personal friends of his had asked him to look out for me throughout the duration of my service. Sidebar: On the first day of our arrival Fr. Joe Narog of St. A's parish told me he was from Pottsville and I had learned from my parents that my mom's roommate from college and her husband (my pseudo aunt and uncle) had attended his ordination. If that doesn't show how small the world is I don't know what will! We were then greeted by all of the friars of the college who all extended their gratitude and offered all of us their help down the road with anything we might need. It was an unnecessary gesture but greatly appreciated. We were recognized at the end of the mass for our service in the community and barraged by the congregation with what seemed to be a set list of questions. The evening consisted of evening prayer at St. Ambrose friary on the campus of Merrimack and a genuine FEAST with the friars after the conclusion of prayer. After dinner we said our goodbyes and were given ALL of the leftovers which included about three pounds of Sesame Chicken, Green Bean Salad, and Gazpacho soup. We have all quickly learned that as long as the Augustinian friars are around we will not go hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment