Thursday, August 27, 2009

The New Chapter

Late July I was accepted to take part in the Augustinian Volunteers (http://www.osavol.com/). It wasn't a difficult decision for me to make because I have known a few people who have been involved in the past and they have told me of the great experiences and friends they have made through the process. I will be spending my ten months in community in Lawrence, MA, working at the Blessed Stephen Bellesini Academy with 5-8th grade boys as a teacher's aid/coach.




On August 17th the 'rents dropped me off at the entrance of the Courtyard Mariott in Devon, PA to begin orientation for the program. I thought I knew what I was about to experience though I was open to anything that could come my way.











The eight day orientation was one of high's, period. It was one of the easiest transitions I have made in my life. I met all of my community members within the first 15 minutes of arriving at the hotel and we all had reservations of sorts I am sure, but after spending the one night just relaxing out in the courtyard of our hotel we all knew it would be a great experience and we would have great times throughout.



I believe every one of the domestic and international locations all got along and had some great laughs as well as some realities that were uncovered throughout the experience. In one week I had built relationships that I know will stand the test of time. By the time we had to head to the airport we didn't want to leave, it was just to much fun getting to know each other and hanging out everynight that we didn't want it to ever end.


Good luck to all my fellow AV's and I look forward to seeing all of the domestic AV's this mid-year retreat. As for the Internationals, I will never forget you and I can't wait 'til we meet again.

"We know we are traveling together... There is only one goal and we are all anxious to reach it, some at a slow pace, and others more quickly." ~St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment